1. An entrepreneur works 18 hours a day to keep from getting a job;
2. Rainbows only follow storms, you cannot have a rainbow without a storm first. Don't run away from your truth, but towards it. Successfully managing pain is key, and Loss Creates Leaders;
3. Redefine success in your life as going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. We will all get our little funky 15 minutes of fame in life. What you want is 15 years, and a 150 year legacy. Your ethics and values are not for sale. In this crisis capitalism treated people like transactions, not relationships. Networking tends to be about what you get, but relationship building is about what you have to give. Be in the Love Leadership relationship business;
4. If you don't have the magic of compounded interest, invest your energy in the magic of compounded hustle;
5. Never ever, ever, ever give up. First people will ignore you, then they will criticize you, and then you win;
6. Redefine "capital" in your life. Many banks will only lend money when you can prove you don't need it. Real capital comes from the Latin word "capitas," or knowledge in the head. If you are rich in knowledge, in time you will be wealthly in your life;
7. Practice passion. No one can outrun a person on fire with focus, passion and purpose to win;
8. You cannot be black for a living, anymore. You are not a victim, but a victor. Act like it;
9. Eagles don't fly in packs. You have never seen a flock of eagles. Get use to being alone in your lane, your view, and your work ethic. If success was easy, everyone would be doing it;
10. Live your life with intentionality. You have money and time to invest every day. If you don't have much money, watch how you invest your time. If I had more time, I could make more money.
This was an except from my remarks at the White House Urban Entrepreneurship Forum, Atlanta, held on July 29th, 2011.
Okay, let's go…
John Hope Bryant is a thought leader, founder, chairman and CEO of Operation HOPE and Bryant Group Companies, Inc. Magazine/CEO READ bestselling business author of LOVE LEADERSHIP: The New Way to Lead in a Fear-Based World (Jossey-Bass), and Member of the U.S. President’s Advisory Council on Financial Capability for President Barack Obama.