Operation HOPE, South Africa Report Card 2013
I was inspired to spend a week with my HOPE, South Africa team last week, and found that they have made significant progress around our original promise of instilling and embedding principals of core consumer protection amongst a vulnerable population of women and children.
Going forward, we will be forging a bold new agenda focused on both consumer protection, and consumer empowerment too -- all leading to local GDP, jobs, small business ownership, entrepreneurship, and important in Africa, creating a generation of what we call "self-employment projects."
Here is a summary of our Operation HOPE, South Africa team's impressive results on the ground there:
- 40,752 youth and adults educated and empowered with financial literacy over the past 5-years.
- 1,739 youth and adults educated and empowered during the first quarter of 2013 alone.
- Approximately 2,000 HOPE Corps volunteers recruited, trained and mobilized in South Africa alone.
- 65 partners supporting our work, inclusive of Sanlam Insurance, our lead signature partner, Citi, the Banking Association of South Africa, the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and the Peace Corps South Africa amongst others.
- Operation HOPE and Banking on Our Future embedded into 60 local schools throughout South Africa.
From the civil rights justice of Nelson Mandela's bold generation of leaders, to the silver rights empowerment agenda available to this one, Operation HOPE is committed to the future prosperity of this great country, and the African continent overall.