NEW BOOK TO BE PUBLISHED BY WILEY PUBLISHING AND JOSSEY-BASS IN AUGUST, 2009. ADVANCE PURCHASE HERE!
Love leadership is a way of thinking and acting that acknowledges your selfish longings for success and outside acknowledgment, yet also taps the often hidden strength inherent in your personal insecurities, your limitations, even your failings. It mines the wisdom to be found in life’s setbacks.
Specifically, Love Leadership distills what John Hope Bryant has learned about leading, particularly in these turbulent times, into five fundamental laws (each of which constitute a chapter in the book):
- Loss Creates Leaders: There can be no rainbow without a storm. That is, there can be no strength or inner growth without the pain of legitimate suffering. Most great leaders came to the wisdom to lead through life’s trials.
- Fear Fails: Fear-based leadership rules today’s business landscape. But leading through fear is increasingly antiquated and self-defeating. It’s a crippling indulgence that we can no longer afford.
- Love Makes Money: Love is central to success in business. In fact, the expression of love in business—that is, creating long-term relationships with your customers, employees, and community based on caring for others and doing good—makes you wealthy.
- Vulnerability Is Power: When you open up, people open up to you. Vulnerability is the door to your heart, and grants great power to those who are strong enough to leave that door open. Real leaders understand that vulnerability is not a weakness; in fact, it can be your greatest strength.
- Giving Is Getting: Leaders give—followers take. The more you offer to others, the more they will want to stay with you, share with you, protect you, and support you. Giving inspires loyalty, attracts good people, confers peace of mind, and lies at the core of true wealth.